Summer means warm days, cool treats, and that almost always means ice cream. Here’s the thing, we know traditional soft serve is made with dairy, and store-bought vegan options can be pricey. So, we have a solution for you. If you’re in the mood for a pick-me-up to cool-you-down, check our creamy homemade vegan ice cream recipe below.
Note: You will need an ice cream maker and plenty of time for this recipe, so plan accordingly.
- 2 cans 15 oz coconut milk
- 1/2 cup agave + 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Splash of lemon juice
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1/2 cup broken chocolate bars (check out some vegan chocolate bar options here)
- In a pot, cook down raspberries with lemon juice and one tablespoon of agave until thickened. Cool in the fridge.
- Heat coconut milk, agave, and salt in a saucepan, slowly stirring as the agave dissolves.
- Whisk in cornstarch to coconut milk mixture. Continue to stir until pudding-like.
- Remove mixture from the stove and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a shallow baking pan and allow the mixture to cool slightly. Place plastic wrap on the surface to prevent skin from forming. Set in the refrigerator. Chill for at least four hours. Note: If you don’t have time to wait around, it will keep up to three days.
- Time to churn! Place the chilled coconut mixture and cooked fruit into your ice cream machine, along with your choice chocolate.
- Remove once it reaches soft-serve consistency. Place in the freezer until firm.
You can also try a few different combinations below!
- Keep the chocolate, ditch the fruit, and add 1/4 cup of powdered coffee.
- Add chopped walnuts or pecans for crunch.
- Leave out the raspberries and chocolate. Include shredded pineapple for a lovely summer note! Make sure to drain the pineapple well.
If coconut isn’t your jam, you can make vegan ice cream from any milk substitute; soy, almond, or oat work well.
Try your own combinations for some creative flare. Whatever fantastic flavors you come up with, we’re sure vegan ice cream will be the healthy treat you crave all summer long!