Alright, raise your hand if you’re in agreement that hairdressers are a smidge of an essential service. Both our hands are up…just saying. By now you’ve probably mastered sourdough and mastered excellent substitute teacher skills, plus you’re walking around with your DIY lip balm and handmade protective mask you so elegantly sewed together.
Now, what about that hair? We can’t possibly continue walking about outside alternating between a ball cap and a pineapple bun. Before you let your husband at your locks with the scissors, try this first. We can’t promise miracles, but an improvement from your current situation is almost a guarantee. Here’s how to make your own moisturizing hair mask to extend the life of those ends until your next appointment!
What you’ll need and why:
- Coconut Oil – Boosts the shine and softness of your hair and is almost like magic in repairing split ends
- Honey – Its antioxidant properties, help reduce hair breakage, hair loss, and helps keeps your hair strong and healthy.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This must be diluted in half a cup of warm water prior to adding to your mask mixture. Apple cider vinegar will help break down and get rid of any build-up on your scalp. It also balances the PH on your scalp which will help restore its natural moisture.
- 2 Eggs (depending on how much hair you have) – The yolks restore moisture, nourishment and shine while the whites contain vitamins that promote growth. Plus, the enzymes help prevent build-up!
- Start with a glass bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of coconut oil, and 1 tbsp of honey and put in the microwave for 45 seconds until melted. You want this mixture to remain warm. The warmer temperature helps the nutrients better absorb into your hair.
- Add diluted apple cider vinegar and mix in with oil and honey.
- Make sure eggs are room temperature. Use a fork or mixer to beat the eggs into your mixture.
- You may need to add more ingredients depending on the thickness and length of your hair.
- Apply the mask to your hair, soak a head towel in hot water, and wrap tightly around your hair. Leave on for 15-20 minutes.
- In the shower with shampoo, wash out the mask and apply usual conditioner.