Sadly, obesity in the US has reached epidemic proportions. Although simply having a larger size does not necessarily indicate poorer health, clinical obesity often comes along with associated health issues. According to the Mayo Clinic, obesity is associated with heart disease, diabetes, certain forms of cancer, and high blood pressure. For this reason, maintaining a healthy body weight can have benefits beyond aesthetics – it may help reduce your risk of obesity-caused disease.
Although there are ways that people can reduce their weight, it can be challenging to shift your lifestyle, and many medical interventions can be costly and invasive. The best way for sustainable healthy weight loss is eating well and exercising, however, there is an exercise from The Tao of Revitalization that may help boost your results: stomach rubbing.
This system was created by ancient Taoists and requires no equipment and has no side effects. The idea behind this exercise is that it manually redistributes fatty deposits in the midsection, which leads to more efficient elimination. Additionally, this exercise can help stimulate water moving with more ease through your system, which can also help with bowel function.
The Stomach Rubbing Exercise:
- Relax in a prone position, laying flat on your back
- Begin by placing your open palm on your navel, using your dominant hand (right hand if you are right-handed, and left hand if you are left-handed). Begin rubbing your tummy in a clockwise motion (right to left) in small circles. As you proceed, widen the circles until you are rubbing your entire midsection.
- Once you have done this, switch to rubbing your stomach in a counterclockwise motion from expanded circles around the abdomen down to smaller circles around the navel. This step is a direct inverse of Step 2.
- Repeat this process as much as you would like.
According to the Tao of Revitalization, doing this process for a few days should help bowel movements to normalize.
As you do this activity, it is important to be firm but gentle (no pressing hard on the tummy). Also, it helps to visualize energy flowing through your palms into the tissue of your abdomen. Imagine this energy flowing into your internal organs and providing heat to your midsection.
A quickie version of this exercise can also be performed:
- Rub your palms together briskly and then place on either side of your navel.
- And Rub both sides of your tummy in circles, making sure your hands meet in the middle at your navel.
- Rub your abdomen until warmed up. Repeat as much as you wish.
Anecdotes are told that bolster the idea of these exercises not only helping with weight loss but also improving disease. One story shares the story of a Chinese senator who was able to obtain relief from stomach ulcers by faithfully performing this exercise daily. As the story goes, stomach rubbing actually cured his tuberculosis and ulcers, and he lived a long and healthy life well into his 90’s.
Apart from the stomach rubbing exercise, there is also a stomach healing exercise that can be approached by those hoping to improve their health and prevent or help reverse disease:
Stomach Healing Exercise
- Sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor in an upright position.
- Take your left palm and place it on your belly on the left-hand side of your abdomen.
- Breathing deeply, take your right hand and place it palm out and push away from your chest as you inhale. Gaze at the tips of your fingers while you push outwards, visualizing keeping a heavy force at bay.
- As you exhale, bring your hand back to your chest and visualize bringing in a new revitalizing energy. Repeat this process seven times.
This energy work visualization exercise said to improve stomach ailments such as pain, ulcers, indigestion, and stomach cancer. So, if you are having abdominal troubles, maybe give these exercises a try. With more serious ailments, it is important to do these in conjunction with professional medical care.